29 Aug How to awaken Kundalini and what are the possible manifestations?
“Kundalini” – which means “the coiled one” – is the ultimate life force energy that resides at the base of our spines, coiled just like a snake in the root chakra (Muladhara). Creative power, divine feminine energy.
When this energy is awakened it leads to spiritual liberation.
During an awakening event the energy spirals upward, activating each chakra, and making the being transition into an enlightened guru. This journey starts at Muladhara Chakra (root chakra) and ends at Sahasrara Chakra (crown chakra).
You can achieve different levels of awakening and a mystical experience, until Kundalini finally reaches the top of the head, Sahasrara (crown chakra) producing an extremely profound transformation of consciousness.
You can be prepared or not, the experience of Kundalini awakening can happen anyway. Which means it can happen without one’s will, or when one is far from ready. People who have never heard of Kundalini before and have no spiritual practice can also experience awakenings. But for those who are not prepared, this can be scary and even devastating so you better start prepare yourself.
How to awaken your Kundalini?
Kundalini can be awakened by ‘shaktipat’ (spiritual transmission by a Guru or master) or by spiritual practices such as yoga or meditation. Always remember that Kundalini is a practice and it does not happen overnight. So be patient.
Awaken your Kundalini by practicing Kundalini Yoga
Kundalini Yoga is special because it approaches yoga like a technology through a sequence of movements called “kriya”. Kriya is a definite series of asanas or exercises. Each kriya has a specific purpose, such as strengthening the immune system, enhancing kidney function, overcoming fears, relaxing, strengthening the spine, or opening the heart. There are hundreds of predetermined kriyas in Kundalini Yoga.
- Asanas – postures
- Mantras – sound vibration
- Pranayama – breathing techniques
- Bandhas -body locks (also known as bandhs in the Kundalini tradition)
- Mudras – energy seals with hand gestures
Some other practices to reach the awakening:
- Focus on your breath: Controlling your breath is essential during Yoga and Meditation practices. Now try to control your breathing in a new way: Focus your breath to the tail of your spine, directing it upward, toward the crown of the head. Kriya Technique:
- Straighten your spine: Good posture is absolutely necessary to awaken the Kundalini. It also helps the breathing. Furthermore poor posture can lead to many health problems. Sit up straight!
- Refine your diet: Support your practice with whole, healthy plant-based foods. It makes a difference and can help you to determine your mindset, mood and overall health.
- Move your body: Make sure that you exercise every day. The goal is not to exhaust yourself, but to enjoy being in your body. So it can be walking in the park or even swimming in the ocean – the point is to MOVE.
- Reject Negativity: Your practice will definitely be improved by focusing on the positive aspects of each day and the positive aspects of your life as a whole.
- Mind your environment: Surround yourself with kind, supportive, honest and positively challenging people. Your quality of life will improve when you’re surrounded by good energy.
- Get a mentor: Whether it be your yogi or just one wise soul, find someone to connect with on a deeper level.
- Listen to relaxing music: Listening to music or rhythms that relax your mind and body promotes a meditative state that can help you in your Kundalini practice. Music allows you to tap into an internal energy flow.
- Activate yourself: Set aside minimum an hour a day to pursue tasks that you feel connected to. It can be art, music, gardening, sports or any other activity. Make whatever it is that you get enjoyment from a daily priority.
- Be mindful: As you go through your day, make an effort to remain aware of the present moment at all times. Even on a bad day you can see the beautiful side of the world.. You just have to be present.
Possible manifestations of awakened Kundalini
- Bliss, euphoria, feelings of infinite love and universal connectivity, transcendent awareness, seeing truth (third eye opening)
- Awakened sense of smell, hearing, taste
- No longer controlled by desire/cravings
- Sound heard in the pineal gland (pleasurable/enjoyable)
- Change in voice, sudden ability to sing in perfect pitch
- Change in the sex organs
- Change in breathing
- Energy rushes or feelings of electricity circulating the body. This tingly feeling, at first, might be mistaken for a “shiver.”
- Involuntary jerks, tremors, shaking, itching, tingling, and crawling sensations, especially in the arms and legs
- Intense heat (sweating) or cold, especially as energy is experienced passing through the chakras
- Spontaneous pranayama, asanas, mudras and bandhas
- Emotional upheavals or surfacing of unwanted and suppressed feelings or thoughts with certain suppressed emotions becoming dominant in the conscious mind for short or long period of time.
- Headache, migraine, or pressure inside the skull. Relief of this pressure during an awakening may be felt as a “popping,” depending on the person and their body at the time the awakening begins to occur.
- Pains in different areas of the body, especially back and neck
- Sensitivity to light, sound, and touch
- Trance-like and altered states of consciousness
- Disrupted sleep pattern (periods of insomnia or oversleeping)
- Vegetarianism or veganism
- Change in body odor (sweetness/natural/healthy)